Dublin City Hall was built between 1769 and 1779 and was originally used as a financial centre by the merchants of Dublin. It was first known as the Royal Exchange but was later renamed Dublin City Hall when it was bought by Dublin Corporation in 1851.
Twelve columns support the dome of the Rotunda, with a mural between each one. There are twelve murals in total, eight of which depict a famous legendary or historical scene, such as St Patrick baptising the King of Dublin. The remaining four show the Coat of Arms of the four provinces: Ulster, Leinster, Connacht and Munster. In the centre of the floor, directly under the dome, a mosaic depicting the Coat of Arms of Dublin is encircled by four statues. These four statues are of figures that played an important role in the development of Irish society.
For more information see City Hall